Is Your Skincare Routine Ready for Fall?
The seasons are finally changing here in the South, and with that wonderful fall weather comes a need to change up your skincare regimen. Just as with everything in life, your skin changes from season to season, and it’s important to make necessary updates to keep looking and feeling your best. I thought I’d help patients kick off the fall by sharing everything you need to know about updating your routine – and how the team at Seiler Skin is here to help!
How should your regimen change going from summer to fall/winter?
It’s important to follow up with your aesthetician when the seasons start to change, as your skin requires different products and ingredients when it starts to get cold. Take my own skin for instance – I tend to be very oily and acne prone in the summer, but as soon as the weather starts to cool down, my skin requires a lot more moisture. It’s important to remember that moisture doesn’t necessarily mean using “heavier” products. Products that contain hyaluronic acid and glycerin can be a great addition to your skincare routine, and will help your skin look more hydrated and plump while providing anti-aging benefits in a lightweight formula.
Additionally, drier skin conditions may need a different moisturizer for day and night, along with a hydrating eye cream. We have lots of medical-grade skincare options to choose from with unlimited combinations to get the right routine specifically for you!
What skin conditions/concerns are more likely to appear in the fall/winter?
Dry skin isn’t the only issue that fall and winter can bring. Many patients deal with breakouts due to a compromised skin barrier from the over use of retinols in the winter, resulting in irritation and redness. Masks, serums and other specialty products are a great way to treat those pesky skin issues that start to pop up. These issues typically are a simple fix with the right in-office treatments and skincare.
Which are your fall/winter products picks?
- Revision Hydrating Serum & DEJ Night Face Cream – these are two of my go-tos for addressing dryness as soon as it appears and giving my skin some much needed moisture.
- SkinCeuticals Soothing Cleanser & Revision Brightening Wash – sometimes swapping your regular cleanser during the fall and winter can help protect the skin’s natural barrier to the elements. These cleansers are also great for achieving a good chemical exfoliation without stripping your skin of moisture.
- Revision Nectifirm Advanced & Alastin Restorative Neck Complex – these products are a great way to keep your neck hydrated and firm while treating any redness or sun damage.
- SkinMedica Instant Bright Eye Cream & Revision DEJ Eye Cream NEW Formula! – it can help to have one eye cream for morning and one for night in order to balance out the ingredients the delicate skin under your eyes need. Both of these picks can also be mixed with the Revision Hydrating Serum for more hydration, if needed.
- SkinCeuticals Phyto Corrective Gel – this is a must for me all year round! It’s great to treat any irritation or inflammation that happens from changes in weather, and gives your regimen that extra boost.
Which are your go to fall/winter treatment picks?
These seasons are a great time to schedule your IPL, chemical peels and any other laser treatments. Patients often find these difficult to book during the summer months given they require you to spend less time in the sun following treatment. IPL is my go-to treatment for this time of year, as it targets sun damage from the summer months such as dark spots and redness. IPL can also help you achieve a more refreshed look with very minimal downtime, especially when paired with a series of chemical peels or HydraFacials.
It’s also very important to stay on top of your vitamin C during these months. Products such as Revision C+ Correcting Complex and Intellishade SPF 45 help maintain treatment results all season. Plus, combining different treatments will help you achieve the glowing skin that everyone wants!
For fun – tell us your favorite thing about the fall and winter!
They’re my favorite seasons of the year! Trees covered in beautiful red and gold leaves, crisp air, the anticipation of the upcoming holidays – all things that brighten my mood. Spending time with family eating turkey or gathering around the Christmas tree brings back so many wonderful memories for me, and makes me so thankful for all that I have. It also brings the opportunity to help those around us that may need some of the simple but most basic things in life. All you have to do is look around and each beautiful cool fall day will bring another chance to do something special for someone!